I am not going to bore you with the over zealous fan reaction or media exposure dear Oprah is receiving since she arrived in Australia last week –
I only want to highlight the facts of why this extraordinary woman (love her or hate her) is the No.1 female brand in the world and how her influence will be a hit for Australia in promoting our “country” brand.
OPRAH THE BRAND
- Winfrey has a personal fortune of $2.74billion.
- Her trip to Australia is estimated to cost up to $5million to taxpayers.
- She has come along with 300 audience members and 150 cast and crew.
- She has a daily US audience of seven million, down from a peak in the early 90’s of 12.6 million.
- Her book club has been able to boost the sales of any book featured by 500,000 copies.
- In Australia 150,000 people a day view her show.
- Since the mid-1990’s staff have been required to sign confidentiality agreements, one of which was tested in court and found to be legal and binding.
- She claims to have experienced more than 150 miracles.
- She requires her employees to refer to her as Mary” when mentioning her in public places.
- She became TV’s highest paid talk show host in 1987 (even outdoing Johnny Carson with her salary of $31 million.)
- Her website, Oprah.com averages more than 70 million page views and more than six million users per month, and receives 20,000 emails a week.
- Her 1993 interview with Michael Jackson became the fourth most watched event in American television history as well as the most watched interviewer ever; with an audience of 36.5 million (she has called it “my finest hour in television”).
- Her personal influence rates as the leading endorser of Australia in recent memory.
What can I say? Oprah Winfrey is a success and her support in promoting Australia as an international destination can only be a good thing in a challenging world economy.